Sunday, August 03, 2008

flowers

r surprised me with a bouquet of roses last night when he came home from work. i can't recall ever receiving flowers from anyone. funny enough, i saw a woman, probably in her early 50s, struggling to maintain a grip on a couple of bags and a beautiful bouquet of lilies. bringing home a bouquet of fresh flowers, whether for yourself or someone else, is a lovely treat. it brightens up the place and the people in it. and then it occurred to me that in the year that we've been together, r had never brought me flowers. i'm not the kind of girl who would expect a guy to bring me flowers, although i'd appreciate it, so it wasn't something i had thought about until then.

i had bought flowers for myself when i was single, just as a treat for myself, something pretty to look at. but to be surprised by someone, to be given something because he had been thinking of you and wanted to do something nice for you, to be conveyed that tangibly, was wonderful. the skeptical part of me didn't even surface to suspect anything. (flowers and jewelry are the sure signs that a guys is up to no good, right?) it just made me happy and feel loved, exactly what flowers should do.

No comments: